As a result the selection of an appropriate channel of communication is one of the most critical decisions to be taken by an organization looking at a long and successful run. Up until now public switch telephony network was the in monopoly. However with changing times, Internet has provided us with an extremely beneficial alternative to it, namely VoIP.
Understanding the Working of VoIP
VoIP or voice over internet protocol is a technology that works through Internet. Unlike PSTN (public switch telephony network), voice over IP converts voice which is analog signal format into small sized digital IP packets and terminates it via Internet to the final destination or receiver. Before reaching the final destination these small digital IP packets are reconverted into analog signals i.e. your voice.
The number of people deploying call termination service is constantly rising with no sign whatsoever of slowing down. This is chiefly due to the numerous benefits of this profitable service. Let us have a look at how this service can help us gain.
Advantages of VoIP Service
- Cost Deduction – helps in tremendously cutting down the cost of calling as compared to PSTN. You can end up saving over 40% for every call made through this service.
- Efficiency – Voice over IP services works on packet switching instead of circuit switching technology thereby increasing the overall efficiency which has a direct impact on the productivity which too rises.
- Flexibility – One of the major benefits of using this turn key technology is that you can make calls from across the globe irrespective of the network from where you are connected to.
- Convergence – allows convergence of voice, data and video through a single network i.e. Internet. This proves to be advantageous for virtual workers or even while you are traveling.
- More Features Functionality – With voice over internet protocol, you get multifarious features with your telephony which are either not possible through PSTN or you are charged heavily for it. For instance, call forwarding, 3 way calling et cetera.
Disadvantages of VoIP
Till a few years back VoIP was a technology almost unheard of and the only people who knew about it were either the IT professionals or the so called technology geeks. Even with number of advantages that voice over IP bestows upon us, it wasn’t given preference by the users. This was chiefly due to its quality. Jitters and false billing were some of the common issues that disappointed the users. Over a period of time constant improvement in the technology and awareness about its advantages has changed the entire scenario with most of the corporates and residential switching over to VoIP service.
Impact of IP Telephony on Business
Corporates from all sectors of the industry have acknowledged the golden points offered by IP telephony and this is precisely why they have started slowly but consistently moving towards deploying this service. A business irrespective of its size and area of expertise can successfully and profitably switch over to this service.